Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any risk of Flash corrosion in my Cooling Tower? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karbone

Chemical
May 10, 2007
BG
I have a chemical softening/clarifier pre-treatment design for my Cooling Tower that produces corrosive water. After reaching steady state, the CT water quality calculation shows a scaling LSI.

Should I be dosing corrosion inhibitor during start up to avoid flash corrosion?

Any tips would be highly appreciated.

Karbone

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You really should look into obtaining the services of a competent water treatment chemical provider. Someone from a Betz, Chemtreat, etc. will be able to initiate a proper chemical treatment program for the cooling tower. A corrosion inhibiter, a biocide, maybe an acid feed system to control alkalinity, etc, will be part of that program.

Here is a reference on cooling tower startup:

"Proper startup of cooling tower systems prevent initial corrosion and fouling"

THe cooling tower manufacturer should also provide some assistance. Here is a link that provides typical startup instructions:

Thank you so much Bimr for your valuable tips. We are still in the construction phase but I want to be better prepared come commissioning.

Best regards,

Karbone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back