Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any tips for a new RF engineer? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwingace

Electrical
Sep 3, 2007
US
I just got a job offer as an RF design engineer related to RADAR test simulator equipment.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips of what I should study before I start the job?

I am graduating this spring and starting soon after and I just want to be prepared for my first engineering job.

I've look up several book that have gotten good reviews:
Fundamentals of Radar Signal Processing by Mark Richards
RF Circuit Design by Chris Bowick
RF Design Guide: Systems... Equations by Peter Vizmuller
Electromagnetics Explained: A Handbook by Ron Schmitt

I've also been reading up on ADS and HFSS simulators.

So, is there any advice for me and/or book selections?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would be like cramming for a mid-term... you'll know it for a few days, then forget maybe 95% of it. You received an offer, so the hard part is over, relax. They were happy with your current level of knowledge, and they'll teach you what's necessary to perform the job once you get in there.

I'm not suggesting stop learning, I'm merely saying don't try to cram in a bunch of stuff a few weeks before starting unless they have given you specifics as to the type of projects you'll be working on.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I'm with Dan on this one. When you get there you will soon find out what things you need to focus on.

Working life is a succession of continuous learning.

You're in a good spot if your first assignment is to develope test equipment. You won't be restrained by mountains of paperwork to qual your design as would be the case if you were designing part of a radar which goes into an aircraft. You get to 'play' with fun stuff and you basically just have to make it work.

I like RF Circuit Design - that was my starting point into RF a long, long time ago. I'm amazed at how often I still pull it off the shelf.

Reference Data for Engineers: Radio, Electronics, Computer, and Communication (SAMS 21563) if it is still in print.

Along with 70's comments:

GROUND is what you are probably walking on, not a magical symbol/net that makes your circuit work. At RF you need to treat GROUND as another signal that you are as careful with as any other RF trace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back