Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody an HP Solidworks Laptop User?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overkill4

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2005
Hi All,

I came across the HP laptops and was struck by the much lower price than Dell for a notebook with the Quadro 2700m.

The model I was looking at can be found here:

Anybody using this laptop or a close cousin of it and have any Solidworks specific reviews?

For those who are unfamiliar or lazy here are the relevant specs...

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 / 2.4 GHz
64-bit Computing: Yes
Data Bus Speed: 1066 MHz
Chipset Type: Mobile Intel PM45 Express
Cache Memory
Type: L2 cache
Installed Size: 3 MB
RAM Installed Size: 2 GB / 8 GB (max)
Technology: DDR2 SDRAM, 800 MHz
Hard Drive: 160 GB, Serial ATA-300, 7200 rpm
Max Resolution: 17" Display @ 1680 x 1050 ( WSXGA+ )
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M

The only real difference I can see between this HP and the Dell Precision 6400 is the type of Ram, and Potential for Ram upgrages. But I'm more worried about having a capable graphics card. Also this laptop is $2196 Online while the equivalent Dell is around $3000.

Thanks in advance.

60% of the time, it works every time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, I have been trialing solidworks on my HP9440 workstation (1920 x 1200) 3 gig xp pro,- predescessor of the Hp you are considering. Seems to run this software very well. Previously had a Dell (although not a true workstation).

The Hp is a really nice solid machine, although have had some issues surrounding the nvidia fx1500m graphics card -(at times getting hot then becoming unstable)but ultimately sorted by upgrading to latest driver. There have been a number of complaints about this particular card.

I would have no hesitation buying an HP workstation again, it is nice to work on, and can't beat having a separate numeric keyboard for CAD work. Bettery life is reasonable considering performance (and battery performance over time hasn't dropped as fast as the Dells). The 7200rpm drive is much faster than a 5400. It is not too bulky either, and can be comfortably used on your lap. Rest of the computers we use in a small company are Dell notebooks. This machine feels more durable than the Dells although we have not had any real issues with the dells.

I'd say go for it, I don't think you would be disappointed.

I also use the NW9440, perfect machine.

The HP is my mobile cad station for on the road and at home.
At the office I use a octacore Xeon with 8GB, and actualy I prefer the HP nw9440.
Only when I need big renders I use the octacore...

I do not have experiance on a dell.

Kind Regards,

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back