Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anybody know how to re-attach Dimension lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordohongo112

Mechanical
May 1, 2008
CA
I have a few drawings in Solidworks that the dimension lines have become detached. is there a way to re-attach these lines? from a edge to a centre line?

i know in solidedge i just hold down the alt key and i can attach it anywhere.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Were the dimensions placed using the Insert > Model Items function, or placed manually?

I don't believe the Insert > Model Items dimensions can be re-attached. Correct the dimensions in the model and re-insert them for that feature.

The manually placed ones should be re-attachable per Jeffs post.

[cheers]

Its a bit fiddly but if you click on the dimension line it should highlight the 'grips'as green (in my setup) Then zoom in to the arrow grip, click on the grip and drag it to the intersection and drop it. It should attach and the dimension go back to black (as amy winehouse would put it lol)

Hi
if you import all dim's in drawing from related part (This dims coler is black) you cant change them in drawing and the detachments means that thay losetd in source part,but if you frame up this drawings and its Dim's in the part drawing (this Dim's coler is lighter than befor) it means that the source part changed and you must update your drawing, however you simply drag dim's tial lins to anyware you want and SW will find any corner and attach this tail to thare.

This seems to be one of quite a few things that just "don't work very well" in solidworks (2008 at the moment).

I have used prodesktop (bought out and killed by PTC) and alibre and these vastly cheaper systems generally worked very well but with less functionality.
Now having spent thousands extra on solidworks I'm not all that impressed. I keep finding extra functionality compared to what I'm used to, but themn finding it just hardly works or is very difficult to use. I already had a lot of functionality in my cheap and cheerful system.
My net increase in productivity with solidworks is so far very negative (to be expected at the beginning) but I never expected to be losing confindence that I would ever gain productivity compared to a $1000 system in the future.

(I have to use 2008 until elswhere in the international conglomerate goes to 2009).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back