Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody knows what kind of valve is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danlap

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2013
NL
Dear respected valve experts,

Does anyone knows what kind of valve is this. Seems like there is a drain (nut) at the bottom.
IMG_1025_1_d7ah3a.jpg

Service is condensate class 300#.
Is this interchangeable with standard gate or globe?

Thank you,
Regards,
D

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can we get an end view please.

Any markings?

Diameter, pressure rating and length of the valve between the edge of the flange would help.

Looks like some sort of gate valve but difficult to see from one photo.

The flange on the valve look thicker than the connecting flanges. Any idea why?

A bit of a strange set up....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks for input LittleInch, shvet,

Sorry cannot accommodate extra end view and there is no marking visible. No clue why the flange is thicker.
below is the other side of the valve
IMG_1027_mactsx.jpg

I think the supposed to be drain is an integrated ball valve. There is a threaded plug installed at the bottom (we've never used this feature as it is considered as leakage path).

Agree with shvet now I can see a bit more. Looks like some sort of fully open globe valve.

Also looks like it hasn't moved in a long time.....

does it actually do anything?? I would just replace it with a bit of pipe.

You said it was class 300, but size and flange to flange dimensions??

It's just an old double ported globe valve best I can tell...I assume there is a reason to throttle the flow there? Sure is a big clamp downstream on a previous corroded / eroded area so something is going on there...seems like maybe the entire section should be replaced. Anyway, if needing a globe for throttling (and not a gate for isolation), my opinion is your best bet is to replace it with a socketweld 1500# globe with appropriate nipples and socketweld flanges...that way you can adjust the takeout if needed.

The double ported was popular at one time as it balances the forces on the plugs (flow tends to close one and open the other). I don't know of anyone still making that style manual valve, though it is very common with control valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back