Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anybody successfully compiles SPOOLES on Ubuntu? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

kellnerp,

What is SPOOLES, anyway? My quick Google search turned up all sorts of stuff about printer spools and spool files.

What sort of error messages are you getting?

Critter.gif
JHG

SPOOLES is a solver package from Sandia. I think it had it's roots with AT&T way back. My compiling skills are a little rusty especially when it comes to dealing with complex makefiles. I'll try and post the error messages. I'm not in front of that box right now.

CSWP, BSSE

"Node news is good news."

You can turn off update hell IIRC.

Code:
pbk@LC4:/usr/share/SPOOLES$ sudo make
cd A2               ; make all_drivers
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/share/SPOOLES/A2'
cd drivers ; make drivers
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/share/SPOOLES/A2/drivers'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../../spooles.a', needed by `test_norms'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/share/SPOOLES/A2/drivers'
make[1]: *** [all_drivers] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/share/SPOOLES/A2'
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
pbk@LC4:/usr/share/SPOOLES$

CSWP, BSSE

kellnerp said:
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/share/SPOOLES/A2/drivers'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../../spooles.a', needed by `test_norms'. Stop.

I do not know your UNIX/Linux background. Perhaps this all is stuff you know.

In your directory `/usr/share/SPOOLES/A2/drivers, there is a Makefile with a target called "test_norms" that requires spooles.a. I forget what exactly it is you call *.a files, as I am away from my Linux box, but they are executable libraries. They are sort of like a Windows DLL.

In the Makefile, the target looks sort of like this...

test_norms: *****.* *********.* spooles.a ***.*
gcc *****.* *********.* spooles.a ***.*

The file spooles.a either has to be in the directory somehow, or there must be a target in your Makefile that tells you how to make it.

Suggestions, from your compile root directory:

$ find . -type f -name spooles.a -print

The $ is your bash shell command prompt. The above line of code will search down through your directory tree for the file spooles.a. It might not be located where it is supposed to be.

Open the file /usr/share/SPOOLES/A2/drivers/Makefile. Search for references to spooles.a. If some "make" target requires it, there must be a way to provide it. Perhaps something got commented out. Perhaps there is a typo somewhere. Perhaps there is a comment that explains stuff.

$ make clean
$ grep -rl spooles\.a .

This will seach down through your directory tree and list any file that contains the text string "spooles.a". I recommend the "make clean" because you do not want to search executables and object code. I escaped the period character with a backslash. I am not sure, but I think you will need to do this.

I do all my compiles in /usr/local. I have mounted /usr/local as a partition separate from the operating system. I can reformat and reinstall the root (main operating system) partition, and it will have no effect on stuff I compiled. Probably, you do not want to go through with this again.[smile]

Critter.gif
JHG

Thanks.

I found the problem. There were some files that needed modification particular to the Ubuntu release as far as file locations went.

I was trying to compile a multi-threaded version so it would utilize all four cpu cores on the motherboard.

The next challenge was ARPACK. I had to download a fortran compiler for that. It appeared to compile too.

Now I am in the process of compiling CalculiX. If I am in the right frame of mind this is enjoyable. I am sure it builds character too. [smile]

CSWP, BSSE

In the end I remembered that both SPOOLES and ARPACK need to be compiled with "make lib" rather than just "make"...

This is working for me (Ubuntu 10.04 with proper dev libs installed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back