Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody sucessfully running dual monitors w/Quadro card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enginerd1959

Industrial
Oct 1, 2002
US
The nVidia "nView" drivers seem very useful... in theory, but I've never been able to get them to work properly in SWX.

It creates a couple new icons in the upper right of a window title bar to Maximize to both monitors or send window to next monitor. I can also set it to keep child windows on one monitor. Very handy stuff that works in every Windows program except SWX.

I'm running SWX 2009 on XP Professional, with an nVidia Quadro FX 1700 card. I just installed the latest drivers.

Has anyone had success implementing nView features in SolidWorks?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am running dual 24" monitors with an fx3500 at work and dual 22" monitors running off two fx4600s (one plugged into each card) at home and neither have any issues with solidworks 2010 sp2.1 on windows 7. Well except for the occasional black view port issue but I don't believe that is related to the two monitors...

We're not talking about graphics problems here. The Quadro driver has some very handy multiple monitor window management tools. Included in these tools are some buttons that get added to the application and individual window title bars, up there in the top right next to the X, Maximize, and Minimize buttons. Since SW rewrote the UI, these buttons won't show up on SW.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

For those of you that are running nView succesfully in SWX 2009 or newer (with the non-Windows standard interface), can you maximize the SWX window to either monitor, or both with a single mouse click? And can you keep a child window from expanding to both monitors?

These features were handy but it appears they were lost when SWX redesigned their interface.

Unfortunate for those of us using 2 monitors.

Enginerd, I should clarify that I run SW on only one monitor, and Outlook, JobBoss, DWGeditor, etc on the second monitor. I've not found any advantage in running SW in dual monitor mode. nView works great for my set up, but doesn't affect my use of SW on one monitor. If I want SW on the second monitor, I click it off of maximum display and drag it to the second monitor. It behaves pretty good.

ymmv, Diego

It's very handy running SWX on 2 monitors (or at lease it was, before SolidWorks unintentionally hobbled this functionality).

I could view a long part across both monitors, or have an part on the left with an assembly, drawing or another part on the right.

It's still possible, but I now have to drag & resize windows. Not nearly as fast as "one click".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back