anyone familiar with SEM images ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killswitchengage

Geotechnical
Jan 5, 2015
DZ
Hello
I know this isn't geotechnical engineering per se but it's close enough because we're addressing soil stabilization.
So I want someone to help me analyze and determine the minerals present in these two SEM pictures, the first one is an untreated marly clay and the second is the same soil treated with lime. I already have XRD results on both soils but since there is more than one clay mineral I would appreciate if someone would help me.

I've been extensively reading on this subject on the internet but I am always at a lost between either Kaolinite and Illite and a small amount of chlorites or some other minerals on the first picture and on the second I don't know if any cementitious minerals are present if any and what are they specifically and what clay mineral does transform into a leafy like shape because of lime treatment as can be seen in the second picture .
marly_clay_ks3iss.png
marly_clay_treated_with_lime_d31spv.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do a lot of lime/cement stabilisation but we have never looked in this detail.

I would recommend you message Paul Beetham in the UK, he is an expert in the field and very helpful. You can get him on linked in also. Emial below.

paul.beetham@ntu.ac.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back