Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know where I might find a (6mm D profile) potentiometer knob with an extended socket? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

salukikev

Mechanical
May 14, 2008
US
I'm making a short run production of an assembly for which I have received 24 wall mount spring timer switches. Each has a knob you twist (you know the type: "turn past 10...") but in my application, we're attaching the switch 3/8" away from the knob. As such, it's really hard to get a good engagement. Has anyone come across a resource that can supply knobs with an extended "socket"? (more like a stove burner knob) I've already tried the usual mouser, mcmaster, digikey, etc. with no luck. Hoping for a less known "knobs-r-us.com" kinda resource. Thanks!
**I thought hard about where to post this one and ended up here. Mods please feel free to move.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For those types of knobs, it's usually the shaft that's made longer for the application... perhaps you can change the actual switch to one with a longer shaft? If not, I'm sure the machine ship could whip up a batch of small extensions with a setscrew at one end.

Dan - Owner
URL]

Hmm... yeah, funny I hadn't considered that option. I could actually do that here I guess. I guess I just don't the factory knobs very much, haha. Also, still on the lookout for quick & easy. To that end, I might just counterbore a big 1-1/2" diameter with a forstner bit. Finding a good knob I could order would skip all that hassle though.

ScottyUK:
Yes, I did see that one, it looks like that guy is maybe casting them from urethane? My concern there is two things, and they're kind of the same: 1. Usually they have a little metal insert to help manage torque- none seen in that example. 2. As this is a spring timer, it will need a bit of torque/grip to get things going, and a radial design like that struggles a bit in that regard- I assume thats why the spring timer knobs usually have a blade kind of design. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back