Anyone using COSMOS Motion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tar

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2002
US
Does anyone here use COSMOS Motion?

The search function turned up nothing. Also after asking around about training etc. I get the impression that the program is the red headed step child of the product line.

Very little training available.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used it a little for a class when I was in school a few years back. At the time it wasn't yet owned by cosmos. It was still an adams product. It was called dynamic designer motion.

I found the software to be very intuitive, like solidworks and cosmos. It was neat to play with, but that was all I did.

We have a floating license, but we hardly have the time required to use COSMOSmotion, only COSMOSworks.

Trainging should be given from the VAR that you purchased the software through. Just be advised that the training only covers how to use the software, not how to conduct FEA.

A good analogy would be teaching someone to pull a trigger vs teaching someone how to shoot accurately and safely.

[green]"But what... is it good for?"[/green]
Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

We also use CosmosMotion, but had similar results as yourself when trying to find any resources on it.

Our VAR was unaware of any training material in existence for it (hence no training), and as far as I can tell Solidworks doesn't even have any kind of manual for it. Maybe this will change for 2005...

Thanks for the replies,

I have a good deal of experience with SWX and some with COSMOS Works and I find both programs pretty intuitive. COSMOS Motion I find anything but! I've been beating the crap out of this thing for three days and am just finally getting some usable simulations. The help is marginal,the interface is cumbersome and the error messages when it blows up are cryptic. The tutorials are OK but pretty simplistic.

I finally found a VAR in Minneapolis who offers a training class on it which I will be taking next week. Other than that the only other training I found was at COSMOS in Los Angeles. Can't even get a response from the VARs here in Atlanta on the subject.

engAlright,
Do you use the program much?

I design high speed packaging equipment and really need a solution to do motion studies on some fairly complex cam driven mechanisms and the limitations of SWX cam mates are a problem that I need to find a way around.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back