Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anyone using external FRP reinforcement for concrete retrofit in the USA or Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadiancastor

Structural
Apr 13, 2014
CA
The last time I had a look was about 10 years ago, external FRP reinforcement was next to useless because of the fire requirements in buildings (from memory, for flexure some percentage of service level loads needed to be maintained while ignoring the FRP reinforcement, which did not allow for substantial gains in resistance). Does anyone have some examples or where this can work? Any tips about how to address issues with quality control on site? I hear that it might be used for seismic retrofits in California area?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Couldn't you cover it with something, perhaps intumescent paint? Special Inspection, but it can be done.

I'd entertain the concept, but one would prefer to avoid it when possible. Perhaps strength testing or checking the strength of the concrete "as provided" via some statistically significant sample and the "in-place" phi factors might reduce or eliminate the issue, if the overstress is not large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back