Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone using SCS processed sheets with lasers? Success?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewing

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2006
US
Hi,
I have heard that SCS processed steel sheets are capable of being cut faster and cleaner with lasers due to their high degree of flatness. I have read on the SCS website that you can actually cut 2 sheets at the same time without them welding together. Has anyone used this material yet? I a thinking about giving it a try but don't want to waste my time if it doesn't work. If anyone out there knows that these claims are unrealistic or has used this type of material please let me know. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gewing,

I have double-cut steel sheets in the past with an Amada Laser using the contact head (a head that has ball-bearings that rolls on top of the material) with oxygen and had great success with it depending on the complexity of the part geometry. I picked two sheets of CRS out of the stack, without putting any air in between them and clamp them.

Of course, with this head you would lie to the control about the material thickness (e.g. 2 sheets of 0.048" would be 0.096" but the thickness in the cutting condition would be 0.080" so it would squeeze the sheets a bit), reduce the feedrate about 15-20% but if you did the math, you were still saving electrical, gas, etc.

Can you double-cut two sheets with a non-contact head? That I have yet to see since you still have the gas pressure factor (if you are cutting them with Nitrogen)to deal with,
and the fact that you are going to handle these sheets and may put a kink or dent in the material.

I would certainly give it a try if the company is willing to give you samples.

Good Luck

hello
I have ,as maryon, try to cut two sheets at the same time
on amada alpha/pulsar : aluminium and also steel. Cuting quality is great but small angles are difficult to obtain on the second sheet. IT'S NEED A ROLLER HEAD !!

On the same kind of machine I 've try to cut 2x1.5mm stell with sensor head : realy hard to have same quality wherever in the sheet because they are not totally sticked eachother !

The pooh

I've also cut two sheets with an Amada laser. The only way you'll do it is if the sheets stick together and no air get's inbetween as msandovel stated.

MS, was this an Amada 655? you used. Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back