Anyone with experience in Kollmorgen DBL servomotor? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz89

Aerospace
Jan 2, 2017
DE
Hello guys

a few years ago I bought a Kollmorgen DBL4N00260 servo and a Servostar 603 servo drive. I have not tried to setup the system yet. Although there are many safety instructions in the manual, I am not sure about a few things:

--Do I need to operate the servo drive in an enclosure?
--Does the device need to be grounded on its chassis, or is the PE-cable from the power source enough?
--Is there a risk of shock if I touch the servo drive during operation?

Thank you in advance
Jazz89 [dazed]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No experience with that specific drive, but I can tell just by photos revealed by google that the drive's enclosure itself is not protected sufficiently to allow it to operate in the open. So, yes, it is designed to be operated within an electrical panel. (and that's the usual case)

The electrical diagram that I also found via google shows a ground for the chassis. I am sure the diagram in the book for your drive shows the same. Normally the proper mountings of the drive to the inside of the electrical panel will accomplish this ground. And if that ground is properly implemented and the electrical panel itself is properly grounded, you will not get a shock by touching the outside of the drive while it is powered up. Don't stick tools through the ventilation slots of the drive enclosure while it's powered up, though.

Of course, standard requirements for lock-out procedures and arc-flash protection, including appropriate PPE when applicable, shall remain in effect.

Once it's in the enclosure the standard grounding applies. You bring a ground in from the power source (panel) and land it on the enclosure's ground stud, (not one used to mount equipment). You also bring a ground from the drive's grounding terminal and land it on the same grounding stud. Add all the other required grounds to that same stud.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Thanks for both responses.

Alright, so I have to connect the ground stud of the drive to the encloseure's ground stud.
Now, the power comes from a 3P+N+E socket. According to the wiring diagram (which I uploaded here):

--the three phases have to first pass through a fuse and then be connected to the main supply connections of the drive.
--Also the PE cable should be connected to the power terminal of the drive.

In the diagramm this PE cable appears to be also connected to the chassis ground connection. Does this mean, that the PE cable coming from the main power supply should also be connected to the enclosure stud?

Best regards
Jazz89

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c996dede-d6f3-4fda-b699-f3e1d32f61c4&file=Mains_supply_connection.PNG
Alright got it :)
Last question: what about the neutral N cable of the power supply? Can I just neglect it?
I ask because this drive supports both TT and TN networks

Thanks

The S600 drives were designed to be powered ONLY from a WYE power source; ie., the X0, center of the wye, aka nuetral to some, MUST be tied to PE.

If you power this drive from any type of delta or non wye without X0 tied to PE, then it is not UL or CE certified; this is all shown very clearly in the first few pages of the instruction manual.

Reason for all this is this a German drive, designed originally for 380v (400v now) wye European systems. When we first brought these drives to the USA we quickly found that not having that wonderful European grounded power source let all 3 input phases float with respect to ground, and the input diode bridges popped like popcorn! And the PCB traces flew off the substrate at 2000v above ground. Lightning strike 10 miles away, POP! Welder too close, POP. This happened to just about ALL european mfgred drives brought to the USA initially. Then the mfgrs quickly learned they needed much higher PIV diode ratings in the front ends than they were used to in Europe, put em in, learned they need much wider spacing on pcb traces, and solves the initial problems. The specs in the S600 line remain the same: grounded wye or an isolation transformer is required with its own grounded wye secondary feeding it. Just for reference, all drives designed and sold by Sidel/Kollmorgen since my guess around 2010 can run on any type of input power source - but check the manual to be sure.

Now, if your S603 was built after maybe guess around 2005, it probably would survive fairly well with no grounded input power source; but that is your call; mfgr insists grounded wye on that obsolete drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back