AODD pump leakage prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEEPUMP

Chemical
May 29, 2006
TW
Hello everyone,

As we know when AODD pump diaphragm ruptures, the liquid will come out from the exhaust through the muffler.
Although we will install a capacitive sensor (on the exhaust via a T-joint) to detect this malfuction and shut off the valves/air once triggered, we are afraid the liquid will still come out from the muffler. I wonder if there is any way to prevent the liquid come out throuh the muffler, i.e. zero leakage.

Your input/thought will be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you need to replace the diaphragms before they fail. I know of one pump manufacturer that has a system to alert operators of when to replace the diaphragms.

@TugboatEng
Please do share the manufacturer info.

What we do is have a T-joint on the exhaust, with capacitive sensor installed on one port and muffler on the other. But even the sensor can trigger immediately once there is a leakage, we would like to see if there is any way to prevent any liquid coming out from the muffler and contaminate the job site.

The company is
I don't see anything about it in their website but I know that they were working on a system to count the number of strokes the pump has made. PTFE diaphragms have a limited fatigue life and their intention was to replace the diaphragms after a specified number of strokes.

Maybe they never completed development on this.

If the fluid is that dangerous or the location so sensitive then an AODD might not be the right pump as the is no way to stop the pump leaking without isolating the pump.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Another thought is to exhaust your pump into a vented tank with a level switch that isolates the pump. In this case when a failure occurs the leakage will be contained within the tank. Many diaphragm pumps have threaded NPT exhaust ports.

I recall assembling the PTFE diaphragmed pumps with a backup diaphragm. I think the backup diaphragm was more to give the mechanical characteristics than to function as an actual backup in case of leakage. They were sealed with EPTFE tape, though.

This was my college job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back