Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubje

Chemical
Nov 6, 2022
US
Hello,

9.3.3.1 c says the following:

"calculations in accordance with the requirements of the construction code to which the pressure vessel was built or by computations that are determined using the appropriate formulas in the latest edition of ASME code, if all the essential details comply with the applicable requirements of the code being use."

Does this mean I can either use the joint efficiency criteria from when the vessel was built OR i can use the joint efficiency criteria in the latest edition?

I have a vessel that was built in the 30s and the joint efficiency of the vessel is different if the latest code is used compared to the 1930s code.

thoughts?

Also, I'm using the 2014 edition as the "latest code" since that is required in my local jurisdiction.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems that you are going for a major repair in the old vessel.

You need to re-rate it as per 2014 edition because of local laws.

Maybe that would not be possible. You need to order an identical new vessel built as per 2014 edition.

DHURJATI SEN
Kolkata, India

I'm actually trying to determine the required minimum thickness.

If I can use the joint efficiencies from 2014 I will have a low required thickness. This will help with planning future inspection intervals.

You need to check with the local Jurisdiction.
You can't have a new vessel built to the 2014 edition, regardless of the latest edition of the Code adopted. Looking quickly at the NB Synopsis 370, California has adopted 2021 Ed.

I'm not in California but I will double check again.

With that being said, do i have to use the joint efficiencies that were specified when the vessel was constructed or can I use the most current edition?

You should use the joint efficiencies in the the original Code of construction. Welding materials, base metal materials, welding processes and RT techniques have vastly improved from those in use nearly 90 yeaars ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back