Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APDL, STRUC, VISCOELASTICITY, TB vs. MP, THEORY question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TQFP

Automotive
Apr 7, 2012
EU
Hello everybody,

I have characterized the material behavior of a viscoelastic material and found out that:
G is time and temperature dependent.
K is temperature dependent but time-independent.
(Characterization of E and v were not performed)

I am trying to implement the viscoelastic material behavior and have the following problems/questions:

1) ANSYS (ref: manual) allows one to input G and K via TB,PRONY and TB,SHIFT. In my case, I can use TB,PRONY and TB,SHIFT for G, but not for K since K is not time dependent. Is there a way to put only Temperature dependent K (MP command does not allow me to define K but allows to define EX, GXY, NUXY)?

Sheldon says in his memo (STI080807_Viscoelasticity.pdf) that:
a) If either bulk or shear relaxation terms are not specified, they will be assumed to be constant (i.e., no relaxation for that term).
My comment: I do not want to specify any relaxation term for K, but I do want to implement temperature dependency.

b) If a user wants only shear relaxation, for example, bulk relaxation need not be specified (4). 4:"One should keep in mind that if only shear relaxation is defined, the bulk modulus remains constant - in other words, the effective poisons ratio would increase towards the value of 0.5, i.e., nearly-incompressible behavior."
My question: In this case, is poisson's ratio (my input MP,NUXY, which are calculated from G0 and K0) changing to keep K constant? I am not able to understand what is meant by bulk modulus remains constant --> does it mean that K is independent from time and temperature as well? Or does it mean that: it does not relax, but it remains temperature dependent?

2) Assuming that there is no way to put temperature dependent K alone with T and t dependent G, I calculated the temperature dependent PRXY from G and K and implemented it with MP/MPDATA commands as temperature dependent. Would you suggest a better way of implementing material data from the experimental data that I have? I definitely do not have the possibility to measure T-t dependent poisons ratio. I can measure E as time and temperature dependent (for validation for instance).

I am looking forward to your comments.
Best Regards,
Berkan
Robert Bosch GmbH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back