Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APEGBC Competency Reporting System 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

millerbrun

Geotechnical
Feb 24, 2012
CA
Hello everyone,

Thought I might put this question to the community to see if anyone out there has recently completed their competency reporting with APEGBC. The new system (implemented fully in April 2015) is somewhat unclear in my opinion and I am finding it particularly hard to define some competencies with a situational example that is unique, unobvious, and took about a month to resolve. Especially when they define a competency as "knowledge of appropriate use of seal" for an example.

What I would find the most helpful is if someone who has done this could post an example or two of what they successfully entered so I can get the flavour of what I should be striving for. Otherwise I might settle for some general input on how other engineers might tackle a couple of these to get some consensus.

>> Competency: "Demonstrate an understanding of the safeguards required to protect the public and the methods of mitigating adverse impacts"
Indicators: Prepare public safety regulations and advice during design and implementation of a project
Understand potential effects of climate change

Now I'm a geotechnical engineer who works on dams and it seems very obvious to me (and likely to all engineers) that public safety is paramount, thus this would violate the unobvious rule. Any thoughts?

PS. I have also contacted APEGBC for some input but have received comments like "perhaps you should review the law and ethics textbooks to find help"...

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know what your alphabetti spaghetti means, I've never done geotechnical, and the only things dams are good for is swimming in, catching yabbies, and attracting tiger snakes, round here.

But when somebody asks me to do something ill defined and inconsequential, I respond with an honest but not necessarily time consuming answer, and let them take the onus of disproving that it satisfies their criteria. They won't.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

I used to work on dams (see my other posts) and we worked with FERC (Energy Feds) and the Corps of Engineers.

I know what they are requiring.

But if I told you, you would be in violation of the ethics requirements and have to resign your certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back