Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 12P: Fiberglass Tank Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRE

Chemical
Feb 17, 2003
GB
Would appreciate a steer on the use of fiberglass storage tanks in natural gas service. Background: we produce natural gas, oil condensate (light oils of API gravity 50-70), and lots of produced water. Typically, the gas patch industry uses steel tanks to store the separated oil condensate in steel tanks and the produced water in fiberglass tanks. The problem is that separation is often not 100% efficient or during upsets, there is condensate that goes into the produced water tanks (FRP). API 12P leaves the burden to the user and does not provide guidelines for not using FRP for this type service. I am aware that fire codes (as well as OSHA 1910) prevents the use of FRP in if hydrocarbon is present. Any opinions on what you do in this same service?? Any other codes I can refer to that would assist me in using steel tanks in this service rather than finerglass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back