API 2H Gr 50 W/Supplements vs API 5L Gr X52

Status
Not open for further replies.

santillana

Structural
Sep 26, 2007
US
Hi,

In my job we are trying to avoid buying an API 2H Gr 50 rolled plate for pipe diameters between 24 and 36 inch (They are for normal braces from a Jacket); we are thinking that we can save money and timne if we buy an API 5L Gr X52 instead of the API 2H Gr 50 w/sup.
Does someone knows if this is possible?? I mean, the material components allows this substitution?? or the API 5L Gr X52 need a supplement in order to be able doing this substitution??
Any comment you may have, I will appreciate.

Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm surprised you think 5L is cheaper.
Do you know that to be true?

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

Well, in terms of material cost, you are right; but it is not the same to buy a rolled pipe than find a comercial pipe.
The procees to obtain a rolled pipe it is going to take more time than find it as comercial pipe; if you save time here, you will save money during the fabrication process.

And, adding to the commentary by SJones, API 2H is specified at joint cans and it needs Through-Thickness properties to provide strenght in the Z direction. This is very important since punching shear loads from braces converge at joint cans. I suggest you read API RP 2A for more detail.

Thanks to all for your comments and I am sorry because I have indicated wrong.
I tried to explain that it was an API 2H Gr 50 WITHOUT supplements and I have indicated w/supplements; this means WITH.
Anyway, besides that; I found that the API 5L Gr X52 can replace the API 2H Gr 50, IF the API 5L Gr X52 count with S5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back