API 510 | Temporary Repair | 8.1.6.1.4 Nonpenetrating Nozzles

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmontminy

Petroleum
Apr 27, 2007
US
Hello All!

I am tasked to do cross-references between ASME PCC-2 and API 510. I have questions regarging article 8.1.6.1.4 in API 510.

1- Could anyone show me an exemple or explain what are nonpenetrating nozzles?
2- Is this classified as a temporary or a permanent repair? I`m confused as article 8.1.6.1.4 is under the temporary repair but the sentence in the article says it may be used as a permanent. So is it a temporary repair but can also be use as a permanent if repairing other than cracks?
3- What would be the ASME PCC-2 repair that matches the nonpenetrating nozzles repair in API 510?

8.1.6.1.4 Nonpenetrating Nozzles
"Nonpenetrating nozzles (including pipe caps attached as nozzles) may be used as permanent repairs for other than
cracks when the design and method of attachment comply with the applicable requirements of the appropriate code"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A penetrating nozzle is where a hole is cut in the tank / vessel / pipe wall based on the OD of the nozzle - the nozzle then "penetrates" the tank / vessel / pipe wall.
A non-penetrating nozzle has a hole cut in the tank / vessel / pipe based on the ID of the nozzle and the nozzle is the welded on the outside of the tank / vessel / pipe - therefore "non-penetrating"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back