API 570

Status
Not open for further replies.

crankPT

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2017
PT
Hello guys,

So i'm QC shipbuilding inspector (piping and machinery) in Europe, and i was thinking taking API 570 certification course, what do you think?
I don't understand if that is usefull in europe or not. Or do you think that is a certification equivalent in europe?
I have mechanical engineering has my university college, and i'm certified in NDT - Magnetic Testing, but i want to improve in this piping machinery field.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why kind of inspections are you doing? NDT related?

API 570 is more of an overview of a system (rust, failing supports, misaligned piping, etc) and review of wall thickness/corrosion. If you're looking at piping for NDT purposes I don't think it'd really add anything.

The NDT was more like a expansion of knowledge in work! I basically check the conformity with the company standards, ISO ASME and other standars, i check the conformity with the PID of the piping systems (fuel oil, lub oil, LT HT FW cooling, compressed air, Fire extinguishing system/HIFOG and others, grey and black water systems), i check the leak tests, pneumatic and hydraulic test, after my owner and class approval, my coleagues can do the comissioning. ~
With this in mind, i thought in this course to upgrade my knowledge of piping systems functioning and constructions, as well as maintenance point of view, to learn the correct way of building, and best practices that i don't know, that kind of thing...and with this in mind, maybe one if i want to switch to another company or type of job (i work in shipbuilding) this course will be a positive thing in my curriculum...

If you can get your employer to pay for it, absolutely take the course.

It would be good for you to have if you plan to make a move to the oil and gas industry.

If you want something geared more towards piping construction and design, a course in ASME B31.1 or B31.3 would be more appropriate.

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back