Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 5L GR B Specifications or equivalent 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp34

Mechanical
Aug 28, 2003
PT
Hi
I'm designing a piping sistem and I have a API 5L GR B material specification.

My problem is that i don´t have the API specification. Can any one tell me about some equivalent to this material

thanks
sp34

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

API 5L contains more than just chemistry and mechanicals in the spec. Suggestyou check with the end user before substituting A106.

Hi sp34 (Mechanical)

Carbon Steel Smls: A106-B, and DSAW API 5L-B PSL-2 A105: Flange rating Table, psi per ANSI B16.5 Minimun temperature higher than -20 deg F.

Killed Carbon Steel: SMLS A106-b, SMLS A333-6, EFW A671-CC60 Clas 12, EFW A671-CC60 Clas12,S-2, Flange rating Table, psi per ANSI B16.5, (Impact testing required for design temperture to -20 deg F)

Most small diameter pipe will be marked as API 5L grade B/ASTM A106 Grade B/ASTM A53 Grade B. In short, the pipe meets all 3 specs.

Be careful, While ordering ASTM instead of API 5l. If you order 4" dia ASTM pipe, you would end up getting 114.3mm OD(4" NPS) pipe, where as in API 5l (After year 2000) the Diameter is OD that is 102mm OD. Hence while substiuting material spec specify the OD CLEARLY.

The tensile requirements for API 5L Grade B has a minimum yield strength = 241Mpa. and Minimum Ultimate Tensile Strength = 413Mpa. You may need to find out the pressure rating, (Standard Weight or Extra strong) and the size required.Then I may be able to better assist.

API 5L are most commonly specified for pipelines of large size (as 12" and higher) and long (more than 300 ft) pipes for services offsite process plants. ASTM A106 is more used for process plants service. If it is your case of transportation of oil, water or gas at not high temperatures nor below 20F you can specify ASTM A53 GrB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back