API 5L PSL 2 pipe cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilippoT

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2013
IT
Hi,
i have to select between API 5L X60 and API 5L X65 PSL2 linepipe. Considering the type of fluid to be transported and the design conditions there is no difference between the two in terms of corrosion and wall thickness, what is the most economic? Is X65 cheaper than X60?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

why not wall thickness? X65 is higher SMYs so it will reduce wt for the same size and process conditions, but may not be enough to change standard wall thickness?? but you can't say it makes "no difference".

As to price - get some quotes.

Some mills may find it easier to run X65 as standard, some won't, so in some cases X65 is cheaper.

Depends on size, type of manufacturing technique, length of pipeline, location etc etc.

Far too many variables to say which one is cheaper, but there won't be a lot in it I would say (<5%)

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Outside of LittleInch’s comments: one primary design consideration should be long term fatigue resistance of the piping material. X65 of course has slightly higher yield strength than X60 - but this is at the expense of ductility of the pipeline. All other conditions being equal: the X65 is more likely to fail from a brittle fracture than X60. There are many companies which limit yield to X60 or less for this type of reason. If economically reducing WT for service by using the higher yield is not feasible - I would recommend staying with the lowest yield possible (X60).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back