Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

API 5L SAW / GMAW pipes - longitudinal weld joint quality factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

svi

Mechanical
Aug 1, 2006
AE
ASME B31.3 allows 0.95 (table 302.3.4) with examination as required by specification. RT examination is not required (table 24 API 5L). There is a note under table 302.3.4 saying that "It is not permitted to increase the joint quality factor by additional examination for joint 1 or 2." The joint method in API 5L not being one of them, it was thought that the factor could be increased to 1 by full length RT.

There is an interpretation, 21-06 of B31.3 2008 edition, which says, "Code does not address increasing the weld joint quality factor of API 5L SAW, GMAW"

Whereas per table 302.3.4, single or double BW with 100% RT is allowed to have factor of 1.

How would one read this? What will be joint factor?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no evidence in the ASME B31.3 that additional radiography increases factor Ej from 0,95 to 1,00 as far as I know. Regards, ThPl

Can you please look at it in light of what I have said above. It does allow a higher factor for single and double BW with additional RT as in table 302.3.4. My question is why the same is not applied in the case of API 5L pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back