Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 5L X52 Modified ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agricola

Materials
Feb 14, 2005
NL
Dear All,

Quite often I encounter the grade API 5l "X52 Modified" in specifications or other sources.

Is the modification always the same? It seem to be the case since it is offered from various stocks also without specific details with regards to the modification.

Are changes made to comply to structural demands, where the original X52 is a line pipe specification?

What modifications can I think of?
Tips and hints are most welcome.

TIA
Cheers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Modification has no formal and consistent meaning. It really means one or more compositional elements will fall outside the approved values in 5L, or an additional element is being added that is not normally present.

Have to ask the owner of the specification requirement what they mean.

My guess is the X52 is has Nb and/or V additions (which are allowed) but will more easily allow the ingots to be heat treated in to several grades, for example X52/X60/X65.

Thanks Grampi1,

Ofcourse "modification" has no formal and consistant meaning. I fully agree.

But since "X52 Mod." is a very frequently used term in the steel trading business one would expect some consensus on the "modification".
Suppliers/ clients seem not to well informed on what actually their modification is. This suggests that there is a former or previous modification adapted by all others and is now copied each time into documentation and specifications.

Actually I realise now that I was looking for "the history of the X52 modifications"..............

One common use of "modified" is that the material does NOT meet the specification ; This was not uncommon for API materials (OCTG).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back