Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 5L X60

Status
Not open for further replies.

giruffo

Chemical
Jul 27, 2004
IT
Due to the unavailability of pipe API 5L X60 in a short time our supplier (in the middle east region) has proposed us a few alternatives as equivalent ones.

Above pipe shall be used for a flowline (to the treatment plant), the fluid is multiphase crude oil + formation water.

I am a bit disoriented since in my opinion none of the proposed solutions can be considered equivalent to API 5L X60, at least from a mechanical point of view.

These are the proposed alternatives:

ASTM A252 : I don't know if it is normally used for pipelines, anyway min yeld strenght is 45 ksi against 60

ASTM A671 CC65 CL22 (good material suitable for low temperature, here not necessary, min YS is 35 ksi against 60)

ASTM A530 (I don't think this is a sufficient info)
ASTM A671 CLASS 2 (?)
ASTM A335 P5 (good material suitable for high temperature, but this is not the case, anyway min YS is 30 ksi against 60)

In a few days I should give a technical answer to my boss, thanks in advance to anybody will give me a useful advice.

Best Regards,

giruffo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

giruffo;
What pipe construction code are you using for this pipe system? The construction code for the piping system should provide a menu option of suitable pipe material with allowable stress values. If you are not working to a piping code, I would suggest as an option you review ASME B31.3 Piping Code, which provides for a list of acceptable piping materials and corresponding allowable stress values for design. There is nothing wrong with going to a lower strength pipe material, as long as the lower strength pipe and lower allowable stress values are accounted for in your piping design.

The design code should be ASME B31.4 and that will have a list of allowable pipe specifications. It is assumed that the 'supplier' is a stockist in which case get the supplier to recertify the offered pipe to fully meet API 5L requirements; otherwise, look outside of the Middle East and try using ISO 3183 L450 as an alternative!

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back