Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 623 Valve with Corrosion allowance

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaidiF

Mechanical
Jul 13, 2020
ID
Hi everyone

im working in a valve supplier as an application engineer and i need some suggestions from valve experts here.

my customer asking for API 623 Globe valve with corrosion allowance 6 mm. and it will be used for hydrocarbon services.
my question is does wall thickness calculation for my valve shall follow ASME B.1634 wall thickness + CA 6mm or API 623 wall thicknesa + CA 6mm?

thanks a lot for the attention

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When specifying valve, any mention of corrosion allowance is ludicrous and is lazy piping spec copy paste. API 623 wall thickness is written to copy API 600 wall thickness, which already have built in "thicker" wall thickness added in when compared to ASME B16.34. This was mainly done because we know casting innately have defect in them and the standard was written for a more robust valve. Can you imagine a valve still working after the wall already corroded 6mm down? the seat ring would just fall right off.

However, for CODE purposes, as most likely the piping system is being built to ASME codes, you can go off ASME B16.34 thickness + CA, or if that does not cut it, straight ASME VIII wall thickness + CA. This is just to satisfy CODE, which have nothing to do with actual valve buying.

You will just buy API 623 valve with the "api 600" wall thickness thats been used for decades.

PS: most API 600/623 wall thickness meets the standard 3.2mm CA many people love copy pasting when compare to ASME B16.34

Luke | Valve Hax |

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back