Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API-650 Frangible roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Encho

Mechanical
Apr 1, 2013
CO
Hi everybody,

When I am determining the frangible roof area (A), I use the formula in 5.10.2.6.
Checking the roof to top angle compression ring. It is limited to details a-e in fig. F-2. Based on these details, I can determine the participating area for the shell (A[sub]s[/sub]) and the participating area for the roof (A[sub]r[/sub]).
Having these values I can subtract A-A[sub]s[/sub]-A[sub]r[/sub] and the result will be the area for the angle (A[sub]a[/sub]).

My question arises when the result for the A[sub]r[/sub] is negative. What does it mean?
I wouldn´t need angle for this kind of configuration?
For this case the participating area for the shell plus the participating area for the roof is exceeding the limit value for frangible joint?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Whenever the total area exceeds the maximum area for frangibility, your joint is not frangible. If the area of just the roof and shell exceed the limit for frangibility, you can stop there. This does not mean you don't need a top angle, just that you won't have a frangible joint up there. The need for an angle or other structural member up there is from other sections of the code.

IFRs thanks for your answer.

Anyway I correct a mistake in my post:
My question arises when the result for the A[sub]a[/sub] is negative. What does it mean?

Encho,

Start with the definition of A[sub]a[/sub] which is the maximum allowable cross sectional area of the angle. If that value is negative, it is not possible to have a frangible roof for the tank and emergency venting must be provided by other means is required by the customer.

Note that if a tank is anchored, the requirements are somewhat different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back