Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 650 Tank Retension Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

engpes

Mechanical
Feb 10, 2010
US
Is anyone familiar with recommended API 650 retention times? I am looking for the retention time for a 400 BBL API 650 oil storage tank. The oil is API 35 degree oil.

I cannot find anywhere in API 650 that specifies a retention time.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean by retention time?

I suspect this is a process related question and API 650 is not going to address for you. However, some more explanation what you want will get you a better answer.

Maybe you are referring to the time between inspections? This is calculated following an inspection according to API 653 (Tank Inspection, Repair, Alteration, and Reconstruction). API 650 (Welded Tanks for Oil Storage) is used for the construction of your tank.

Inspections according to API 653 need to be done by an authorized inspector, of course all described in given code.

My vote on what retention means is how long the hydro test water must sit in the tank. 24 hours is common, but long enough to ensure that you have adequately inspected all joints. It shouldn't take long. 400 bbl is a pretty small tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back