API 653 Hop Tap for 8" nozzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfacevedob

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2013
VE
Dear Sir.

Does anyone coult tell me if, for a tank of dia x H = 27.625' (liquid hight 20.8'), we can performance a hop tap of 8" nozzle having a shell average meassured thickness of 0.208". I know that API 653 require a minimum thickness of 1/4" but the shell plate required by calculation, using A283C plates and E = 0.7, is 0.1472".

In case that we can not performance the hot tap procedure I would apprciate any alternative to place in the tank a 8" nozzles without empty the thank

Thank for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As you note, API 653 calls for a minimum shell thickness greater than yours.
Possible options:
Don't comply with API 653
Hot tap two 6" nozzles and pipe them together
Hot tap a shell manway cover plate with an 8" nozzle, if the cover plate is 1/4" or more

Sometimes you must empty the tank ....

No spare empty tank available ? ...... Discuss this with the plant manager and the process engineer, perhaps this could be a future enhancement.

Suggest that you consider the modified shell manway cover plate fix. You can have a replacement made in the shop and ready to swap out during a brief shutdown

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Is the required minimum thickness the concern of the burn through during the hot tap?
Check with your plant Material Engineer to see if it helps to add a butter weld layer on the pipe for the hot tap connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back