Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API-653 Tank settlement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganotec

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2012
Hi,
I recently got issues concerning a settlement status concerning a API-653 renovated tank. The data was collected by a surveyor and was sent out to two different firms. The results came back and both had different answers:
-The first one said everything was fine (This one was comparing Ui for each and every point collected, and comparing it to S[sub]max,in[/sub] as per Art. B.3.2.2)
-The second one said that the tank was not within the standard of API-653 (This on was comparing the Si for each and every point collected and comparing it to S[sub]max,in[/sub] as per Art. B.3.2.2)

Now after reading the chapter on tank settlement on my own, and making a speadsheet of my own I came to the following conclusion:
-API-653 B.3.2.2 Smax,in and API-653 B.3.2.1 both only give limits to the out-of-plane settlement (Ui)
-Out of plane deflections (S[sub]i[/sub]=U[sub]i[/sub]-(1/2U[sub]i-2[/sub]+1/2U[sub]i+2[/sub])) are not used in the calculations of tank settlement validation.
-According to me the first study would be right.
-The figures B.4 & B.5 are in fact indicating out of plane settlement (Ui) and not deflection (Si)

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have the standard here in front of me, but believe you are right- the limitation is on out-of=plane deflection and stresses.

Did you mean that S[sub]max,in[/sub] limits out of plane settlement (Ui) or deflection (Si)? Because as stated in my post, the way API is wording it, it seems to be out of plane settlement(Ui).

Ganotec,

When you have a survey company conduct your settlement survey's, chances are extremely likely that they do not API-653 Code well nor do they follow set guidelines. I have a simple excel spreadsheet, that if followed, will allow for the measurements and simplicity of the code to be satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back