API 661 Condenser

Status
Not open for further replies.

landrover77

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2004
GB
Guys

I have a application using a 4000kW API condenser with system D full re-circulation, its for a partially cold part of the world -50degC.

has any body any experience of louver freezing / ice formation? On both Linkages and louvers?

If so any suggestions of how to avoid, how affective are internal steam/electric heating coils in increasing internal condenser temperature but also in melting the ice on louvers?
Do stainless over Ali louver offer an advantage?

Cheers in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

landrover77,

I would suggest calling Cooling Products in Broken Arrow, OK. They have extensive experience with full recirculation systems for the North Slope and other cold-weather applications. Full disclosure: We represent them.

Regards,

Speco

Thanks speco
But I'm looking for operators experience. We have a supplier identified
So don't want to waste another's time.
Thanks again

Based on my experience with air coolers I have designed (well, specified) and installed in that kind of climate, is to keep the louver actuators mounted well outside of the air stream.

I am not a fan of non-metallic louvers; plastic has a short life in those kinds of temperatures and the variations (warm air, sunlight, then deep freeze...).

I am not sure what condenser process temperature you are trying to control to, but the (formerly) API-632 winterization coils that I have been involved with were more to keep the bottom pass of the tube bundle from freezing, and accordingly, the coils were under the bundle between the fan and the finned tubes. The air in the plenum above the tubes at a face velocity of 500 - 800 fpm (at full fan speed) was always warm enough that I never had a problem with ice formation on the louvers. Then again, the winter air here is pretty dry, and that probably had something to do with it.

If it was me, I would take a look at the process temperature that you are trying to control to and see if it creates an air temperature in the discharge plenum that would facilitate ice formation on the louvers. Before implementing winterization coils and associated infrastructure, maybe go to air side controls (two speed fans or VFDs or autovariable fan blade pitch hubs) to avoid "overcooling". In addition to locating the louver actuators outside of the air stream, I would also oversize the louver actuators and linkages so that they have enough brute strength to stroke the louvers regardless of ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back