Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Api 6a Trim Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

yalkamer

Civil/Environmental
Apr 30, 2009
TR
I have been searching the web for locating the correct definitions of different trim material options defined by api6a but many different sources indicate something else. Is there anyone that can inform me about the accurate trim materials defined by api 6a?

I am trying to select a correct api 6a gate valve for 550F steam application.

Thanks in advanced

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yalkamer

API 6A material classes are broken up in to two basic groups; general service and sour service. A sour service environment contains H2S. The 6A specification defers further definition of sour service to NACE MR0175.

Do you have exposure to H2S or will there be free Hydrogen?

I am not sure. The valves will be used for wellhead of geothermal wells. If you can advise for both cases that would be highly appreciated. Regards

Given the termperature you listed, the valve would fall into the "Y" temperature class of API 6A, which is 0F-650F.

I am not too familiar with geothermal wells but aren't those closed loop systems where you are simply exchanging heat with the large heat sink that is earth? Therefore, you should not have exposure, at the surface anyway, to H2S gas.

You may run into H2S when drilling the well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back