Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

API - OILY WATER SEPERATORS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Nov 23, 2002
LK
I am looking for help and guidance in the design of oily water sepeartors in a Tank farm. Can some one with experience let me know what to look for and references and API codes applicable in design and erection of oily water seperators.

Thank you

Gamma

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at:
API 421 Design and Operation of Oil-Water Separators
40CFR60 Subpart QQQ
40CFR63 Subparts G and W
For floating covers contact sales@allentech.com

IFRs

Can you let me know if I can down load API 421 thru the Internet. If not how can I get a copy. I am from Sri Lanka.

Gamma

API.org is the correct address for general API information.
To order publications, API will send you to where you can buy with a credit card and download a pdf of most API publications as well as other organizations' standards.

First of all the oily water seperator shall be considered one equipment in the entire oily draiange system.However, depends on the operation modes( settlment of the crude/product in tank(s) or resident time before agitation) of your tank farm, the water disposed volum( BSW ) in the oil shall be caculated first through lab analysis. Then, you caculate the recovered oil in barrels. If the amount of the crude is appreciable( more than 0.2% by volume), the separator will be economicall and effecient specially if process big/large crude oil tanks. Otherwise, you go for good settlemnt and direct evapration or to a ground sump where you can repump it bcak to a pipeline or into one of the tanks in the tank farm. If you decide to go for a seperator( CPI or API( costly & require big space, yet it is good for high impurities oily water), approcah one of the vendors who have packaged oily sepeartors(CPI, requir less space and less costly, yet good for clean flow such as finished products in bulk plants) with a sump built in it, so you can pump the back wherever you decide. You may start with API-Pb-421 standard.

First of all the oily water seperator shall be considered one equipment in the entire oily draiange system.However, depends on the operation modes( settelment of the crude/product in tank(s) or resident time before agitation) of your tank farm, the water disposed volum( BSW ) in the oil shall be caculated first through lab analysis. Then, you caculate the recovered oil in barrels. If the amount of the crude is appreciable( more than 0.2% by volume), the separator will be economicall and effecient specially if process big/large crude oil tanks. Otherwise, you go for good settlement and direct evapration or to a ground sump where you can repump it bcak to a pipeline or into one of the tanks in the tank farm. If you decide to go for a seperator( CPI or API( costly & require big space, yet it is good for high impurities oily water), approach one of the vendors who have packaged oily sepeartors(CPI, requir less space and less costly, yet good for clean flow such as finished products in bulk plants) with a sump built in it, so you can pump the back wherever you decide. You may start with API-Pb-421 standard.

Hadeed,

Thank you so much for the advice. Can you recomend a good vendor who supply packaged CPI seperators.

Can any one educate me on the difference between the two types pf Oily water seperators mentioned in by Hadeed.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back