Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API presentation ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTick

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2003
US
I just got an email about a call for papers for a regional SW users conference scheduled for this fall. I gave one recently about an advanced API topic (creating addins with VB) at another conference. (Presentation text available at <
I would like to hear from anyone who has an idea for an intermediate to advanced level SW API presentation. I have some ideas of my own (asynchronous processes, creating ActiveX objects), but I want to know what other people are interested in seeing.

Thanks in advance...

[bat]I could be the world's greatest underachiever, if I could just learn to apply myself.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would like to see something on creating separate BOMs in Excel (a saved excel template) rather than on the drawing. Our corp uses separate BOMS. thanks

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 2005 SP0.1

TheTick,
The BOM’s looks like it might be a hot topic.
I am almost sure that one day we will not be able to use the MS Excel BOM anymore. Would it be possible to write an API that would give users full control over the SolidWorks BOM? Similar to what a user can do using the Excel formulas.

Bradley

We also use separate Excel BOMs and have a "home made" macro to do it (this is used toghether with another Excel macro to create config properties).

But I think that SW should manage to create BOMs as a separete document and not as a part of the drawing (that is, it should be possible to configure both ways). I've seen more companies using BOMs as a separete document than those using as part of the drawing.

Bradley: what do you mean by "I am almost sure that one day we will not be able to use the MS Excel BOM anymore"?

macPT,
SolidWorks is no longer supporting the MS Excel BOM now. They are letting us use it, but not supporting it. The next step would be to take it out all together.

Bradley

They origionally claimed they were doing away with the Excel based BOM with the intro of their own BOM table in 2004. There was a big backlash from users whose tables were highly customized using equations and such in Excel and these features were not available in the new table.

They only decided at the last minute to leave the Excel table available until their own table could handle the same funtionality.

Definitely BOM. We too use a seperate database and DXF files to add our BOM. All of our drawings are exported to DXF files then when viewed via our database (in house written program) the BOM is added. Labor intensive and error prone to have the BOM created by a third person that enters all the information, but the customization allows us to include routing for manufacturing. Our BOM typically would include component parts, hardware and operations.

If SolidWorks stops supporting the Excel BOM will it export it. If not how are they suggesting we link the drawings to our databases for vendor PO’s and such?

LOKi42 ... You can (& probably always will be able to) "save as" the SW BOM to CSV & TXT files. Those can easily be read into Excel.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520

BOMs are good. I personally would like to see something on writing routines that create my own command manager. I have downloaded some examples off the SolidWorks website but would like a better explanation of what can actually be accomplished. I am currently working on a macro using WithEvents that would be better suited to be in the command manager.

Regards,

Regg

You might want to do a paper on some kind of application. But 90% of users probably need to know how to go just beyond a recorded macro. Things the majority of users don't know have to do with object oriented programming, early binding, getting at objects in a macro, making forms work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back