Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API RP 14J for safety valves inlet/outlet sizing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermax

Chemical
Feb 10, 2003
IT
Hi, I have to size a pressure safety vale for an off-shore platform skid, and reading a technical clarification by client I found this specification: "the PSV inlet and outlet shall be sized as per API 14J requirement". What does it mean?
Usually I apply the API RP 520 code for safety valve sizing; moreover, reading the API 14J code I wasn't able to find anything about pressure safety valves connections sizing... Someone can help me?

Thank you for your attetion.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems like your client made a mistake. Either they meant API RP 14E that does contain a section on pressure relief systems (section 5.8) or they indeed meant API RP 520/521.

Also note that API RP 14J contains a list of standards (table 2) and this list shows that API RP 520/521 are applicable for relief/vent systems. Therefore, in my opinion you can use API RP 520/521 without violating your clients specification...

Thank you Guidoo, I found useful your suggestions about the codes... I just can add this note: there is a specific API guideline, that is API RP 526, in which are stated both stadard orifice areas/diameters and inlet/outlet safety valve connections. So, I think that you guessed right about the hypotetic client mistake...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back