Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API seal plan to vertical pumps 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpinista

Mechanical
Jan 15, 2013
BR
Hello people,

I need some help to specify a plan flush, I am going to pump crude oil 19,3º and 77,14 Cst @ 50ºC ,
I think anything about 13/52 and 65 to dual seal.
anybody has a any suggestion ?
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why dual seal, is it sour service?

If not, single seal with a plan 14 should do fine (with a 65 if you want.)

Then buy half a dozen spare seals with the money you save over dual seal + 52.

Few questions does the crude oil contain sand and/or water? If so then you should use a dual pressurised seal. If its relatively clean then single seal with Si vs Si should be ok but you have to be careful on the seal design applied. For example do not use a metal bellows seal. I would consider pusher seal with an externally mounted spring to prevent hang up. When the pump stops you may damage the faces on start up due to the fluid film becoming tacky so if you have steam apply piping plan 02 & 62 (LP Steam)
My preference would be dual pressurised seals and although initial cost is high reliability is also high. If cost is an issue then consider single with a quench. If steam is not available i wouldn't use single seals.

Our crude is very sour. We are required by our environmental agreements to install dual pressurized seals in crude service for any new or modified pumps. I assume that the pump is a vertical turbine pump with the seal at full discharge pressure. If so, we would normally use plan 13 / 53. I could not use a plan 52 because I have not flare available at the crude tanks. I am not sure if we have low pressure steam at those locations.

Johnny Pellin

Dual pressurized seals in sour crude is not uncommon - Plan 13/53A or B would be typical. I would not use Plan 52 unless you want to repeatedly clean out your seal pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back