Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API separator foaming issues in asphalt refinery wastewater

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemebabak

Chemical
Feb 8, 2011
US
Engineers,

Currently our client's wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) receives wastewater from crude overhead, Vac tower overhead, caustic scrub, Sulfatreat flush water (intermittent) and storm water (intermittent). The wastewater passes to the API separator, then to the DAF. The water is pumped to outfall and the DAF floc is pumped to a holding tank.

The API has experienced an oily foam that requires the API to be shut down once a week for cleaning. As a remediation, our client has installed filters upstream of the API separator. These filters are replaced every 1-2 hours.

Because the oily floc contains a large percentage of water (40%) the client pumps it back to the API, mixed with the wastewater, for a second pass. The client also has stated that the it is very difficult to separate the oily floc from the water. This is most likely due to the polymers and coagulants in the floc.

I would like to know what are your suggestions for improving the WWTP operation. I believe that improved DAF separation is one important step and not recirculating that Floc to the API would be a second important step. My next thought is that there needs to be some sort of additional action regarding the wastewater. As I wrote, the filters upstream of the API are continuously clogged and require constant replacement. The client believes that to be the sludge contained in the wastewater.

Thank you for your comments.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to check the pH of the water. The ideal pH should be approximately 5.3 units or so. As you move away from that pH, the efficiency drops off.

The ideal pH to break oil emulsions is approximately 5.3. As you get away from that ph, the treatment effective will drop off.

There may have been some process change that is affecting the pH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back