Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API12B Allowable Overpressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KernOily

Petroleum
Jan 29, 2002
US
Morning guys. Have any of you ever seen an allowable overpressure value (i.e. % pressure rise in excess of the tank MAWP) during tank venting for an API 12B tank? I have reviewed both 12B and API2000 and I don't find anything. Working on venting calcs and wondering about 10% overpressure. Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe in API 12D and/or API 12F, this is addressed in an appendix at the rear of the standard. You might check if the latest version of 12B has a corresponding section.
"Why you would consider it"- because the standards are rather arbitrary as to the definitions of the various design pressures, and whether they are increased for venting overpressure or whether the overpressure is included in the design pressure; ditto for emergency venting conditions.

If, after research of the newest standards, it still simply isn't clear, it may be worthwhile submitting a request for interpretation to the API committee. That may take 6 months or may see nothing happen at all, but would hopefully clear it up for the future.

Guys thanks for the replies; very much appreciated. Based on this I will advise the owner to re-set the set pressures below the tank MAWP and then I'll check the available relieving rates through the relief devices against the required API2000 relieving rates. Devices are currently set to the MAWP which will create an overpressure situation in excess of MAWP when the devices open. I think this will satisfy the intent of everything I've read thus far. Thanks again! Pete

The pressure relief devices should have curves of flow vs pressure / vacuum. They usually flow relatively little at the set pressure unless they are pilot operated types. It would be conservative to allow some head room under the MAWP as a cushion over the pressure at which the flow satisfies your needs, but that may not be available. Designing your relief system within the MAWP keeps you, your boss, your risk management team, etc comfortable and going "by the book" keeps you off the hot seat or witness stand.

My opinions only, and I tend to be conservative...not always the best approach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back