Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

applicability of Static Coefficient method IEEE-344 (seismic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mech2926

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2011
US
Hi,

I would like to get some clarification on the static coefficient method in IEEE-344. I've read the standard, and it explains that the static coefficient method is a simpler, more conservative method than a dynamic analysis such as response spectrum analysis. It also says that for structures physically similar to beams and columns that can be represented by a simple model, the factor 1.5 is conservative. This factor is multiplied by the peak of the response spectrum curve to calculate the acceleration to apply.

I want to make sure that I apply this method properly, so I would appreciate some enlightenment:

Is this method generally applicable, or is it only to be used for very specific cases? In other words, am I only supposed to use it for analyzing simple beam models?
If I can use the method for non-beam structures or for beam-like structures that are not "simple," what factor should be used? Should I use 1.5?

The reason why this method is attractive to me is that I don't have to compute the normal modes of the structure or component.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back