Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Applicable Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adalius

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2009
US
I was viewing a job today with one of our estimators. We are installing large metal hanging brackets to a block wall. In the middle of the wall span is a large column that supports the roof, a 2nd floor deck, and on the side we're working on there's also a large stool welded to support that section of an overhead crane rail for a 20 ton overhead.

They asked me if they can weld the hanger to the column. From a capacity standpoint I'm not entirely worried since rough math in my head works out, but from a liability standpoint I told him I wasn't positive but I thought pretty strongly that a structural engineer would need to sign off on that since it's welding to a large structural entity that is supporting a lot of load already. Our company doesn't have a formal policy that addresses it but we've always operated under the mindset of being extra cautious and never put our neck out for more liability than we need to...

Long story short, he overstepped his bounds and said he's an engineer and he'll sign off on it (even though he's not a structural engineer, he's a HVAC design engineer). I was pretty pissed that he didn't even give me time to look into it and just did it. I had a talk with my manager and he felt the same way in that a P.E. should have reviewed it.

So the question I have is, does anybody know if there's a specific code (OSHA, UBC, or some other federal or state [Wisconsin]) that specifically states that it should have been signed off because it's being welded onto a structural support? Or am I making presumptions that I shouldn't be...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd have guessed that a 20 ton crane's rail would need columns of its own.
... and it sounds like that could be your problem now.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

People modify structural steel all of the time, for better and for worse.
It is the crane that I am more concerned about, there are rules for those.
In general your approach is correct, let someone certified as a structural engineer sign off on it.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

I know that welding to structural is done left and right, and the crane is my concern as well, *but* the question isn't whether a PE should sign off or not, it's which standard/code/regulation says they should. My VP and I are both tradesmen so we look at this as a no-brainer, but the president is a business major and doesn't always look at things the same practical way we do. If it comes down to a pissing match between me and the estimator I want to be able to say to the boss 'Here, this is the standard that says he needs to have a PE review it because it's a crane/structural support/whatever.' so the discussion isn't my opinion versus this estimator's but instead is a 'this is what code says'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back