Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applicable welding methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joselito

Mechanical
Jun 24, 2002
US
Hi,

I'm interested in welding several components to a thin (0.04 inch - 0.06 inch) sheet of 6061 aluminum. The components are cut from a 1/4 inch plate of the same grade. They will be welded such that the 1/4 inch face of the plate is butted up against the thin sheet and joined with a fillet weld. Very little distortion can occur within the thin sheet and I need the joint to be as strong as possible. The number of pieces being manufactured is fairly low, so we will be contracting the job out. Cost is obviously a big consideration here.

What are my welding method options?

Thanks alot

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you really need a fillet with little distortion, I think your best bet for welding would be "JB" weld. Seriosly, would adhesive bonding work? The difference in thickness between the two parts would lead to high distortion in the thin aluminum sheet. If you have to have a weld, and don't necessarily require a fillet, could you laser or EB weld the 1/4" plate through the .04-.06" thick sheet with a seam weld?

I agree with GRoberts. This joint configuration will undergo significant distortion if it is welded. Laser or EB welding will minimize this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back