Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application of ASME 31.3 High Pressure Rules in Chapter IX for sour services

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter vaf

Materials
Jun 3, 2021
TR
Dear Friends

I am Designing wellhead piping system with class 10,000# (462 Barg) (sour service process condition(NACE)) :

Can anyone offer some guidance concerning the below application Design Codes :

I have the following below scenarios :

1) ASME 31.3 High Pressure Rules in Chapter IX
Issue is Category "M" Fluid Service.(For NACE)

2)API 6A (API 6X Design Calculations Guide)
Issue :welding and discontinuity

3)ASME PTB-1-2014 ASME Section VIII – Division 2 SEC 5
4)FEA analysis

Any Experience in this case ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

High pressure well head piping is a bit of a mish mash of different codes and standards.

The only flanges really available are API 6A flanges with their weird sizes. 6A doesn't really "do" piping IME, but 31.3 doesn't recognise API flange I think.

That's why most people just bolt a choke valve durectly onto the actuated wing valve to get the pressure rating down to something reasonable to work with.

What are you trying to do?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Wellheads are API 6A . At some point you may crossover to ASME from the high strength API flanges. When I was working we did not consider ASME in wellhead design. Generally it was a spool piece with 6A flange on one end and ASME flange on the other ( never actually designed one so I can't be more specific.) Be sure you require NACE MR 01-75, latest ed. I have been retired for awhile and don't know if the ISO ( 15656 ?) is used. I was on the NACE committee and may be biased.

Peter Vaf,
I am giving you the situation in Canada.
Wellhead upto the last wellhead valve.: API 6A
Last Wellhead Valve to Lease Block Valve (section that contains the Meter): The design Code is either CSA Z662 (Pipeline Code) or ASME B31.3 (Piping Code).
Lease Block Valve to Facility/Terminal : CSA Z662
If Inline Heater - covered by Safety Code Act.

Check with your regulator and use the regulation of the land.

GDD
Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back