Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Applications for using a brake press to stamp text or emblems into a part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjlasota

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2019
US
Looking to see if anyone has ever used a press brake and produced custom tools with a stamping die to place part numbers or emblems on a part? I'd like to stamp a 10 digit part number into thin sheet steel utilizing a 50, 120, or 300 ton press brake. I have a stamper made for this and stamping dies with a mirror image of the part number machined into them. But thinking of possibly saving a step by creating a custom tool that could install into my press brake as a first hit before forming the part.

Brandon LaSota
CAD Engineer
Modineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The tool exists but I think you would hydroolic press channel (Finnish youtube channel of things being tested to destruction in a press) the tool in presses of that range.

Stamp Holders, 1/16" Character Height

I figure a solid hammer stroke from a 3 lb hammer is about 5-10 tons.

Thank you so far everyone!

@3DDave: I have found some, but I need to go beyond lettering. I need to put a custom symbol on there. I can likely make a custom tool for the holder though.

@TugboatEng: I'll probably end up making a custom version of these stamps per 10 digit part number. I need to stamp up to 600 parts per day.

@JohnRBaker: I have seen that and I will likely have to custom design something similar. This shows me that it has been used in applications on press brakes before though.

Brandon LaSota
CAD Engineer
Modineer

We had a supplier that made parts for us.
He had a very basic solenoid driven stamp attached to his brake.
The labeled parts with drawing numbers, or part number, or just descriptions.
His was manually triggered and his guys would usually label a part in two or three locations depending on size.
You could also do this with one of the pin stamping machines.
Then you could print whatever you wanted with no hard tooling.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Similar to John's experience, Wilson also makes holders for turret punches. We stamped part numbers all the time using these.

1pf_ltrstamp_hczod4.png

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.wilsontool.com/en-us/products/punching/thin-amada-lvd/special/letter-stamp[/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back