Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apply a moment to a certain number of nodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

meolo2002

Marine/Ocean
Sep 24, 2009
IT
Hi to everybody,
i've this little problem with 1d elements in Patran.
I've to comunicate the moment of a crane to a series of node( the base). this crane is placed on a steel floor. (i've attached a sampe made with maestro)
In other fem programs i was used to construct a number of 1d elements connectting the node of shell components of the base vith a vertex on witch was applied a moment.

The problem is that i've noticed that in nastran, using 1d beam2 elements and bar properties it's impossible to apply the moment on the vertex because this is not comunicated to the elements.
I've no experience in modeling 1d elements in patran.
Anyone has some suggestion for solving this problem?
Thank you very much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) I used CBARs for the crane and CQUAD for your deck. I ignored the W section under the deck. My resulting analysis and FBD in Patran revealed that my beam (cbar) does trasnfer moment. Refer to the attached .bdf. To import this file, in Patran start a new file, go to "import" and select "nastran input" and select the attached .bdf.

2) If you personally purchased your Patran software, I believe you can get support directly from the developer. Try emailing them, mscpatran.support@mscsoftware.com or mscnastran.support@mscsoftware.com .

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f373aae0-b799-4ea4-8ea9-ea30cb2f0fba&file=test.bdf
Sorry but your model doesn't work for me...

the error is the same, there's some lack of costraints

^^^ USER FATAL MESSAGE 9050 (SEKRRS)
^^^ RUN TERMINATED DUE TO EXCESSIVE PIVOT RATIOS IN MATRIX KLL.
^^^ USER ACTION: CONSTRAIN MECHANISMS WITH SPCI OR SUPORTI ENTRIES OR SPECIFY PARAM,BAILOUT,-1 TO
CONTINUE THE RUN WITH MECHANISMS.
probably you've setted PARAM,BAILOUT,-1

What version of MSC or MD Nastran are you using?

I ran "test.bdf" on my side and my .f06 did not have that error. I have attached my .f06 as proof. How odd you received that message.

The model features a CBAR attached to CQUADS. The CBAR has a moment applied to it, and the FBD reveals the internal moments are distributed to the constraints/fixed end of the CQUADs.

GpRer.png

I use patran 2011...
ok but i think i've solved the problem
there was some mistakes in definition of the orientation of sections of beams and with the property of the material.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back