Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Apply loads/BC's on sketched areas instead of faces/points/edges/bodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcfanatic

Mechanical
Nov 10, 2011
US
I'm trying to figure out a way to define a load or boundary condition on an area of a body or face.

In Ansys Workbench/Mechanical it seems that you can only select an entire face, but I frequently have to define a load or BC on a select area of a face.

Is there a way to do this? As a workaround I've been creating very small (~0.001" thickness) bosses so I have something to select, but I would like to know the proper way of doing this without adding geometry that is not supposed to be there.

I've used design modeler to create sketches and surfaces but this hasn't solved the problem for me.

Thanks!
Adam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want to apply a pressure to an area face and not the whole thing you have to outline where you want the pressure applied and split the area as suggested by fuzzdoug. Then glue the areas together and you can select your newly created area to apply the pressure. If you want to put a BC on the face then you need to put it on the nodes after you mesh, or you need to place a keypoint there and split the areas up to include the keypoint.

OK, I see there is greater flexibility in "splitting" faces. However, once you have a sketch, how do you select it after initiating the split command? Whether "by point and edges" or "by location" the cursor will not snap to the corners or lines of a rectangle I have produced.

All right, I was able to selected the sketch lines, I simply had to toggle the lines button next to vertices.

After selecting my rectangle and clicking generate, a yellow check is produced next to the face split and there is a warning that says

"Warning: At least one tool geometry selection did not result in a split. Additional information: Face Split Group 1. Contesxt: FaceSplit Feature FaceSplit6"

For those who come across this problem here's the solution:

The error is caused when you select a line that borders an edge, hence not resulting in a split.

Only lines need to be selected, not vertices, and only those lines that result in splits of the face.

"Glueing" is not required if you want nodes to lie along your sketched lines

Sorry if I am missing something, but can't you just imprint a face on the surface? You are then free to apply loads and BCs to this face and the geometry remains unaltered.

try extruding a surface from the sketch such that it is orthogonal to and intersects where you want the split face.
i believe you can "freeze" the surface body and use it to create the split face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back