Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Apply to Engineering Positions in the US

CorporalToe

Civil/Environmental
Mar 9, 2024
CA
Hey everyone,

I'm a Canadian citizen about to finish my master's in structural engineering. I've already passed both the FE and PE exams (Oregon lets you take the PE early) and I'm registered as an EIT in Texas. My goal is to work in the U.S., and I'm planning to apply for jobs there directly.

In terms of work visas, I know it's relatively straightforward for engineers to get a TN visa at the border. However, I'm a bit concerned about the job search itself and whether companies might be hesitant to hire me. I don’t have much experience besides a few civil internships from my undergrad and the research I’ve done for my thesis.

While I know I can find work in Canada, I'd really prefer to work in the States if I can land something. For those of you who are Canadians working in the U.S., how difficult was the process of finding a job? Did you notice any reluctance from companies? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've had TN "visa"s in the past (they aren't strictly a visa but everyone calls them that). You need a job offer. Yes, getting an offer will probably be tricky. I worked under contract through a contracting shop. It seems you have good links to Oregon so I'd probably start there, particularly if you can visit for an interview. GL

"Wir hoffen, dass dieses Mal alles gut gehen wird!"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

There was an engineer from my grad class (civil), with a bachelors only, in canada.

he was hell bent on California. he got a local job after graduating, only ended up there for a very short time (a few months), then i guess searched pretty hard and did the TN thing.

haven't caught up with him in 10+ years, but he's still down there.

Back