applying a circular pressure onto odd shaped elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanTomlinson

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2007
GB
Hi,

I've got a meshed plate with a hole in it that i need to apply pressures to, to simulate residual stresses created when the hole was made. im advised a good way of doing this is to apply a circular pressure around the hole on the top and bottom of the plate. However, the pressure needs to be applied symmetrically on the top and bottom so i cannot apply to the nodes or element as these do not match up. I've also tried creating an area and applying it to that but when i try to apply the pressure it cannot find the area i have just created.

I would be most greatful if anyone can shed some light on this.

Thanks
Alan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Assuming the plate has been created in a solid modelling package and imported into Ansys (DesignSpace?), you could create a split-line on both opposite faces using a circle concentric with the hole as the sketch. I'm probably talking SolidWorks lingo, but other packages should do it. Then refresh the model into Ansys.

Conrad.

Thanks for the reply Conrad,

I have actually created the model in Ansys though so cannot alter it in a design package as you mentioned. I have also tried creating circular volumes within the plates and adding them using a Booleans operation, in the hope it would allow me to apply a pressure to it. however when i did this it stated that i couldn't use the volume-sweep function and so wouldnt mesh.

Hello,

creating circular areas to apply pressure on them is the right way!

In order to sweep mesh the volumes, you must define cylindrical volumes THROUGH the main volume and then use VOVLAP instead of VADD.

Hope this help!
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back