Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying a mass 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Lowbands

Aerospace
May 17, 2017
GB
Hi gents,
I have a dumb part that I need to add a mass to.
As I know the weight is there a way I can add the mass to it instead of applying a material?
The part is a casting and applying a material isn't giving me the same result as I get when I weigh it.
I know I can adjust the material settings to get the same result but I wondered if there was an easier way.

thanks
Alan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Once upon a time I experimented with this problem, and made up a macro to solve it. Alas, my old macro file has become corrupted somehow, and I cannot retrieve it.
This is basically the steps I used, so well as I remember it.
The part is open in its own window
Run the macro, and the macro presents an Input Box to prompt the user to type in the desired weight. Then the macro would do this:
1) Get the mass properties of the part, and get the volume of the part from that
2) Apply the necessary math to divide the mass by the volume to derive the desired density
3) Open the material library...this part I don't recall for sure about getting the library
4) Create a new material in the library with the desired density
5) Apply the material to the part. You have options here - probably most straightforward to apply to either the PartBody object or to a selected solid body. Or maybe the best is to use the Part object.
6) Close the material library without saving it
7) Pop up a message box with the measured mass and maybe other useful information for the user to confirm

I got as far as proof of concept, but then found that in reality I didn't have a use for it :) In my field we're not so concerned with the weight of things down to that level.

Sorry I don't have the actual code any more, but hope this helps point in a useful direction.
Cheers
Mark

I've used "Inertia Equivalents" is the past (as Doug suggested), and the extra parameters worked well. If I recall correctly, you do have to copy all the parameters for it to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back