Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying distributed load on a 2D plane stress model 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fp77

Structural
Sep 13, 2017
PT
Hello,

Usually, when one wants to apply a distributed load to a 2D plane stress model of a simply supported beam, for example, we have, in theory, to calculate the load contributions in every node of the finite elements (nodal forces). This is what I learned in my courses in college, anyway.
This is obviously very time consuming and, unless I don't entirely understand all the options SAP2000 offers to apply loads to areas, I don't see any way around it.
That is unless the method I've been using to avoid this problem is actually valid.
It's on this method's validity I want to hear some feedback on.

What I usually do is to define a soft frame (low modulus of elasticity) on the top of the 2D beam and apply my load to that frame. I also divide the frame at the intersections with the finite elements' nodes. So, is this valid or not? The tests I performed seem to show it is, but I may be missing something.

Hopefully, the following image will illustrate what I'm saying:
simply_supported_c8oa9a.jpg

The load is applied in the frame (coloured yellow)

Thanks for the help

Edit: when I add the frame I always make sure to set its weight and inertia to 0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Filipe,

This is also the method we use in such situations.

Just my advice: Instead of using a "soft frame", assign the "None" section to the frame.
It is a dummy section, implemented by default into SAP, which serves for this kind of task. It just disappear during the calculation, after transferring all its loads to the elements it is attached to.
This way you do not need to worry about masses, weights, inertias, etc. you have to assign to the section.

By the way, you also have a "None" section for areas, just in case you need them. For example, it is a way of easily introducing wind loads and automatically transferring them to the columns, purlins, etc.

That's perfect! Thank you very much for the reply and the additional tips!

Best regards,
Filipe

Make sure to put your dummy frame in the middle of the 2d plane beam, not to cause any force displacements to the origin of the beam itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back